Grammar Exercises – The Simple present of the verb “to be”
Do the exercises on the simple present of the verb to be and click on the answer button to check your answers.
(Before doing the exercises you may want to read the lesson on the simple present of the verb to be)
Fill in the blanks with the right subject / personal pronouns (I, you, he, she, it, we, they):
- Angelina Joli is American. isn’t French.
- Brad Pitt is American, too. isn’t German.
- Brad and Angelina aren’t French. are American.
- My friend and I are high school students. aren’t primary school students.
- The Statue of Liberty is in New York. isn’t in Washington.
Fill in the blanks with the right form of to be ( am, are or is):
- you the new student?
- Yes, I .
- Leila and Nancy students.
- Nancy Australian .
- My sister and I students.
- The girls tired.
- These women beautiful.
- The tea delicious.
- Nadia and Leila friends.
- The newspaper cheap.
Choose the correct answer (negative or affirmative form of to be):
- Is Julia Robert French? No, she is not is French.
- What about Robert de Nero? Is he an American actor? Yes, he is not is .
- Are New York and Los Angeles Spanish Cities? No, they are not are Spanish cities.
- Is Big Ben in Paris? No, it is not is in Paris.
- Is Mount Everest in Africa? No, it is not is in Africa. It is in Asia.